Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Drop of Blood?


I hate to say, but no, it's not really blood. It's pomegranate molasses. Fra Luigi popped over the other night with a big bag of pomegranates from his tree and it got me thinking. Time To Make a SERIOUS mess.
So I broke them open by hand, squeezed big hunks into a stockpot. And yes, I got splashes of what looked like blood everywhere. Then just cooked it down with a few tablespoons of unrefined sugar and a vanilla pod. Very low simmer for about 3 hours.
And in the morning, this lovely, tart, nutty sweet, blood-like super-thick syrup was in the pot. I need not tell you how difficult this was to get into the jar! Nor that about a dozen or more pomegranates cooked down to this. But it is essential in Middle Eastern stews, and let me tell you, a little in tomato sauce is heavenly. Best of all, it never goes bad, completely shelf-stable forever. (Incidentally this can be done with grapes, for sapa.)
And just in case you don't have a costume for Halloween, go as your favorite saint, dripping blood from some missing body part. This would be great for Lucy. Though I'm thinking now of Oedipus. Anyone have a crown I can borrow?

8 comments:

rebecca said...

Hmm, just gathered more prickly pear tunas than I can deal with... maybe make molasses out of those too?

Ken Albala said...

YES, absolutely! Actually that's very traditional. Believe it or not, I advised someone's master's thesis on that very topic, and I still have a tiny vial of it she sent me. You can buy it commercially too.

lostpastremembered said...

You are a very lucky man to get those pomegranates to make the molasses... what a gorgeous syrup!!! I love it in so many things... like putting it in the bottom of a champagne glass...MMMMMMM. Happy Halloween!

Oxford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashmi Patel said...

Made the syrup with just 2 pomegranates (not lucky enough to have an entire bag!) and it turned out fantastic! I created quite the sticky mess, but it was still worth it. Thanks for the recipe.

Cheapwowgold said...

You can do this from suprisingly low expenses by way of looking around for the very best costs as it really is done on the internet over the RS Gold wide web. Based on what stage you are within your game, you might want to purchase Buy RS Gold.

Timbaland said...

Children in famine, victims tortured RS Gold by oppressors, helpless old people a hated RS GP burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make Runescape Gold a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

Timbaland said...

When love beckons to you, follow him, though rs gold his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings Runescape Gold enfold you, yield to him, though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you, believe in him, though his voice may rs gold shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden.